Reservoir Committee History Poster
Manuals and Publications
- 1962-1967 – Douglas Lake, TN Gear Evaluation
Assessed rotenone samples in coves versus open water on a large scale. Effort included 150 participants from 13 States. Results published in First Reservoir Symposium 1967 (see Published Symposia). The project suggested ways to better improve density, biomass, and size specific abundance estimates of reservoir fishes from rotenone samples.
- 1975-1979 – Barkley Lake, KY Gear Evaluation
Contrived to improve on Douglas Lake study and better estimate fish biomass in coves relative to open water and improve open-water sampling methods. Also sought to assess predator to available prey ratios and fish biomass around different types of fish attractors. Study included 400 people from 14 States and 200 acres of water treated with rotenone. Published as a block of papers in 1979 SEAFWA (volume 33).
- 1990-1994 – Sampling Shad in Reservoirs, Lake Texoma, TX-OK
Affectionately called the "Shadathon", this project aimed to assess various gears for use in sampling shad. Gill nets, trawls, electrofishing, hydroacoustics, cove rotenone samples, and seines were compared simultaneously in three basins of the reservoir over three field days. Effort included 96 people from 20 States. Results published in North American Journal of Fisheries Management Volume 15(4).
- 1967 – Reservoir Fisheries Resources Symposium, Athens, GA
First symposium compiled into one published volume to assess reservoir research. Contributed papers (N=39) were from across the U.S. and international contributions. Emphasized commercial fisheries in reservoirs, management of water levels for fisheries, water chemistry to fish biomass relations.
- 1980-1986 – Reservoir Fisheries Management Symposium, Lexington, KY.
Second symposium resulted in publication of 37 papers in Reservoir Fisheries Management: Strategies for the 80’s. Assessed harvest restrictions, water-level and hydrology management for fish, and species interactions.
- 1991-1996 – Multidimensional Approaches to Reservoir Fisheries Management, Chattanooga, TN
Publication included 48 papers. Emphasized human dimensions and marketing, competitive fishing, and traditional fisheries and habitat management.
Data Compilations and Reports
- 1961 – Reservoir Bibliography
- 1959-1963 – Methods for Reporting Fish Population and Creel Surveys
- 1962 – Summary of creel survey data
- 1984-1991 – Update of the National Reservoir Research Database
- 1998-2001 – Online Habitat Manual constructed for use of artificial structures in lakes and reservoirs. Included a national survey of state game and fish agencies to assess methods used.
- 1998-2002 – Online Habitat Manual constructed for establishing native aquatic macrophytes in reservoirs. Included a national survey to assess success/failures in establishing native macrophytes.