Minutes of the Reservoir Committee

Summer Meeting

Athens, Texas

July 8-9, 2003

  • Members present:
  Mark Oliver Mike Wood Mike Allen
  Mike Colvin Chris Horton Jamie Sykes
  Kevin Storey Tim Bister Kevin Yokum
  Fred Janssen Randy Myers Gene Gilliland
  Mark Webb Rick Ott John Taylor
  Bill Provine Phil Durocher Mark Rogers
  • Call to Order
  • Appointment of Secretary - Texas (John Taylor)
  • Approval of Spring 2003 Meeting minutes
  • Financial Report
    • Fred presented the account balance
    • Allen asked what book sale revenues had been like
    • Fred brought up the possibility of putting on a symposium
    • Richard brought up the need for an action level for minimum account balance
    • Gene thought it would be a good idea to discuss account management with the broker to see if there were things we need to do differently with the account; Fred asked Gene to contact the broker for his input
  • Old Business
    • Habitat Manual
      • Not many updates; Fred asked for photos
      • Fred asked members to query their respective states to obtain comprehensive list of noxious aquatic plant species; Gene recommended a table of each state’s noxious plants be put on the website
      • Chris asked Gene how OK polices banned plants; Gene described how they cooperated with OK Dept. of Ag; Mike Wood reported Dept. of Ag also handles it in LA; the problems with new species being brought in that weren’t previously listed were discussed; Gene recommended we link our website to other sites that contain information about the noxious species
      • Fred mentioned a need for sources of propagules; Richard Ott reported that a TX business was about to start producing plant propagules for habitat enhancement; Gene reported that a producer in OK was expanding; Chris reported on another producer that has several production sites in different Southern states; Fred asked that members give him a list of contact information and species for any producers they know
      • Gene asked what comments had been received on the Habitat Manual website; Fred reported they had been very favorable
      • If anyone has new ideas for content or synopses on project case histories, pleases send Fred text and accompanying photos; Fred will use project information to the species listed from the model output
      • Gene brought up a problem he’d noticed with the model not refreshing the species list after going back and changing model parameters, and wondered if his use of Netscape was the cause
      • Gene also wondered if the parameter choices could be retained when running the model for consecutive lakes
      • Gene brought up a project that uses plastic barrels as fish attractors as an example of information that could be in the “non-plant” category of habitat enhancement recommendations
      • Mike asked if we knew how much the manual website is being accessed; Fred said he had not run any stats on use, so he didn’t know
      • Mark mentioned Mike Smart is having the COE put out a revised electronic publication on habitat enhancement, and suggested we put it on our website – he also suggested we work with them to have our model included on the COE’s habitat CD. Fred said we would have to revise the model to run as a stand-alone CD, and Mark thought the COE would handle that for us. Mark said he and Rick could handle working with Mike Smart on it. The manual can’t currently run as a stand-alone program because there are operations that occur on the hosting server – it would be difficult to convert it to a complete stand-alone, and that
      • Recap: Members are asked to send Gene a list of noxious species in their home states, and send Fred an executive summary (with accompanying photos) for any habitat enhancement projects
    • Habitat Manual marketing
    • Gene recapped past discussions on marketing venues: mass e-mailing, AFS website and Fisheries Magazine, plus popular magazines
    • Gene mentioned some examples of the mass e-mail lists we have access to, and that state agencies will put a link to the manual on their websites. Mark asked that each member help him to ensure he has access to their respective state’s mass biologist e-mail list; contact tkdeen@agfc.ststae.ar.us
    • The manual now has a shorter address
    • We wanted to build a FAQ page, but no one sent Gene any suggestions for FAQ’s; he asked whether we should continue that effort or drop it; Mike Colvin suggested we wait until later to add it
    • The timing of when to begin marketing was discussed; Fred suggested we release it to professional biologists ASAP
    • Mark commented that there were many species for which pictures were lacking; Fred asked members to send him any pictures they can provide
    • Mark suggested the mailing should include marketing that highlights the committee’s logo and other committee information
  • Catch and Release Survey
    • Fred asked the committee to consider whether we want to pursue conducting a catch-and-release survey
    • Randy briefed the committee on an analysis of voluntary release data from TX creels that documents an increase in voluntary release rates since the mid-80’s
    • Gene went over a proposal to query 10,000 B.A.S.S. members on motivations to return or keep bass that was generated by discussions at a committee meeting 2 years ago
    • After much discussion, we settled on asking Greg Summers to check with the Fisheries Chiefs to see how much support they might be to give in support of the survey
    • The committee also wants to see if we can find data from other states with potentially-good creel data to correspond with Randy’s TX voluntary release data analysis:
      • SC? Jamie
      • TN? John
      • FL? Mike
      • MO Mike
    • Also, they want to look at corresponding population data
  • Golden algae in TX
    • Bill Provine briefed the committee on the problems that have arisen from fish kills attributed to golden algae blooms in TX
  • Tournament mortality
    • Gene discussed Hal Schramm and Aaron Walters’s delayed mortality study; they saw high mortality rates, and postulate that stress is related to disease (bacterial infections)
    • They will run simulated tournaments in KY, TN, MO, NC, OK (Lake Texoma). They’ll standardize treatments: one group utilizing booklet guidelines, and the other utilizing typical practices, comparing them with electrofished controls. They will be held for 6 days. Subsamples will be examined for LMBV
  • Reservoir Committee Activities History
    • Fred went over a history of Reservoir Committee Activities which Mike Allen prepared that will be part of a manuscript published in the SEAFWA Proceedings, which led to a discussion of whether we should begin putting together a symposium to follow up our previous symposia
  • Symposium
    • Mike outlined a conversation he had with Steve Miranda concerning potential topics for a fourth symposium. Steve suggested that since previous symposia had been toward management of individual reservoirs, perhaps the symposium should be oriented toward management of basin-wide and/or multi-reservoir systems. The committee agreed that would be a useful topic
    • Gene went over some of the lessons learned in the past concerning financing of a symposium
    • The committee seemed favorable to considering Atlanta as a tentative location for the symposium. It was agreed that the planning process duration would preclude holding the symposium before 2006, and that date was considered to be optimistic
    • Gene recommended we spend considerable effort in refining the specific topics we’d like to cover, and to research topics that would be of interest nation-wide – otherwise, we might be better served by orienting the topics to those of regional interest, with the SDAFS Mid-year being an appropriate venue, as opposed to a stand-alone symposium
    • Chris brought up the fact that FERC relicensing is coming up for many reservoirs across the nation and that this symposium could have pertinence to the issues surrounding the relicensing process for many of the controlling authorities
    • Mike Colvin mentioned that we could follow the lead of the Black Bass symposium organizers in how they designed that symposium
    • Gene and Mike will help Mike Allen in putting together further plans for topics to be considered, and for logistics on holding the symposium
  • New Business
    • Gene mentioned that the SDAFS Mid-year 2004 organizers are seeking symposia ideas, and suggested we put together a symposium on Habitat Management. Fred suggested we put extra effort into bringing in fresh ideas and new people to supplement some of the topics covered in previous habitat management symposia hosted by the committee. Gene and Rick thought that solicitation of topics concerning water quality and topics other that vegetation management would be desirable, and targeting a basin-wide orientation as we discussed earlier would be good
    • Gene will pursue laying some groundwork for the Mid-Year Habitat Management symposium
  • Round Table Discussion
    • Fred reiterated TPW’s concern about golden algae; briefed the committee about TPW license fee increase and how TPW is planning to spend it on building a new Eat Texas hatchery; mentioned that TPW is assessing the efficacy of stocking larger (12” vs 9”) CCF in Community Fish Lakes (small urban reservoirs). Rick highlighted TPW’s attempt to standardize stocking procedures. Fred gave a briefing on the development and implementation of the web-enabled FMF database
    • Mark mentioned AR is initiating a new large urban catfish fishing program, and that they are planning to stock smaller (13” vs. 8”) catfish, the reverse of TPW. Mark suggested that net pens have been useful in growing larger catfish. They have found that stocking SB in the upper arms of reservoirs has been more effective. They are doing a habitat enhancement project on Bull Shoals, and planting vegetation although water level fluctuation is problematic
    • Rick asked whether any states are buying CF. OK and LA do. They likely cost more, but are worth it due to lack of hatchery space and need for urban opportunities. Stocking is still handled by state personnel
    • Mike Colvin told about a private(?) individual in MO working with the COE on planting veg in Smithville Lake. Mike also mentioned that there is a lake (which?) that has never been able to produce crappie, and they are going to stock HSB to try and shift shad species away from gizzard shad – there is a large 10-year study being initiated concerning it. He asked for information concerning the efficacy of HSB stockings in shifting shad populations
    • Gene outlined several projects in OK (see handout)
    • Chris outlined Boating & Sportfishing Partnership Council’s development of a national aquatic habitat plan that is running into some resistance and conflict with waterfowl interests. SE Aquatic Resources Partnership is working to enhance access to resources – there are supposed to be representatives from each of the 16 SE states
    • Mike Wood highlighted problems with habitat on Toledo Bend stemming from hydrilla eradication. They are putting out artificial reef structures there and at D’Arbonne – at D’Arbonne, they are also putting them out near bridges to provide anglers protection from the elements and lighting for night fishing. Beginning write-up on crappie netting gear evaluations – they are finding interesting results. LA has a new 2700 reservoir: Poverty Point. Fertile impoundment, expecting very good growth rates; was rotenoned and stocked with 100% FL bass, now is only about 20%. Along I-20, with a 14-17 slot /5 bag to protect the naive bass. Don’t have a creel on it; completely within a state park – since it has controlled access, they are considering a self-reporting creel. Mike is concerned about hand-grabbing’s effect on population structure of catfish – no apparent effects yet, but he is concerned.
  • Spring Meeting
    • February 26th, 2004 at 9:00am in Oklahoma City
  • Meeting Adjourned